NASCAR is gearing up for the 2023 season with some big changes on tap. The long-running stock car racing series remains one of the most popular motorsports competitions in North America with millions of loyal fans. Let’s preview what to expect when drivers hit the track for a fresh new campaign of high-speed action.
Under the Hood of NASCAR
For those new to NASCAR, here’s a quick rundown of the series. The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing oversees major professional racing divided into three national circuits:
- The NASCAR Cup Series – Considered the top tier where the biggest names compete on the largest tracks
- The NASCAR Xfinity Series – Serves as the minor league to develop future Cup series talent
- The NASCAR Truck Series – Features modified pickup trucks racing on shorter tracks
NASCAR’s roots trace back to the Prohibition era when drivers used modified bootlegging cars to race each other. It has now grown into a multi-billion dollar sport followed by viewers across the country.
What’s On Tap for 2023
The 2023 NASCAR Cup Series season is slated to begin with the famous Daytona 500 on February 19th to kick things off with a bang. The 36 race schedule continues through November and will determine the next Cup Series champion.
Some other marquee events on the calendar include:
- Dixie Vodka 400 (March 5, Homestead)
- Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 (March 19, Atlanta)
- GEICO 500 (April 23, Talladega)
- Coca-Cola 600 (May 28, Charlotte)
- Southern 500 (September 3, Darlington)
Notable changes for 2023 include a special Chicago Street Race held downtown on July 2nd. Las Vegas Motor Speedway will also host the title deciding final race in November rather than Phoenix.
Eyes on the Next Gen Car
2023 will feature the second season of NASCAR’s radical Next Gen car introduced last year. The redesigned car was developed to improve cost control, innovation and on-track action. After a successful debut, Next Gen’s second act could see more records shattered and exciting racing.
Teams now have a year to refine and perfect these new cars. Expect crew chiefs to push the Next Gen design even further and for drivers to feel more comfortable pushing them to the limit. The car specs may create an even more competitive atmosphere in 2023.
How to Catch the Action
NASCAR offers numerous ways for fans to tune into all the high-octane action this season:
- FOX and NBC alternate airing races live throughout the season
- NASCAR website and apps provide live streaming access
- Premium services like NASCAR TrackPass offer extra content and alternate camera angles
- Local radio broadcasts bring the race into your car
- Be at the track itself to truly feel the speedway excitement
So crank up your favorite NASCAR podcast, put on your racing cap, and get ready to cheer the boys round the track when engines rev up for another epic season. With young drivers pushing the limits of the Next Gen car and veterans battling to cement their legacies, it promises to be a must-see year. The green flag can’t start waving soon enough!